Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Taking Stock, Part II (UPDATED)

At 8 o'clock this morning, Central Standard Time, shares in the Packers went on sale.

In a press conference this morning, Mark Murphy, the Packers' president and chief executive officer, posed with copies of the four previous certificates.

Packers.com

Vice president of finance Paul Baniel then gave us our first look at the new stock certificates:

File/Press-Gazette

Packers.com

Overall, a fantastic design.

I particularly love the sublimated picture of Lambeau Field in the background. This is a great choice. Lambeau Field is inseparable from the team, a symbol of its connection to the fanbase. I loved that the Packers included a rendering on the Super Bowl XLV ring, itself a callback to the 1965 World Championship rings.

In my review of previous stock certificates, I wondered if the Packers were going to replace the photo-negative logo with Dad Braisher's classic (if subsequently tweaked) logo. I'm pleased to see that they have.

I also like the collection of old Packers logos along the bottom, but they jump right from 1921 to 1950, ignoring some blue-and-gold beauties from the 1940s. With all respect to Mr. Murphy, it's hardly "every one of the logos that the Packers have utilized over (their) history." I understand that this late-1940s wordmark might not have made the cut:

Certainly this mid-1940s beauty, used during the Packers' sixth World Championship, would have merited inclusion.

Shame that Curly Lambeau's æsthetic contributions are largely absent from this little gallery of Packers history. Other than that omission, it's a sharp design.



UPDATE 12/7/2011: There's a small-but-crucial detail that I didn't notice until now. Check out the lower-left corner:

Yep. There it is:

Est. 1919

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! Obviously I'm not the only one who cares about this.

Nice to see that the Packers themselves remember, even if the League sometimes forgets.

1 comment:

Johnny O said...

Awesome that is says est. 1919! One small step for the organization.

I love my new Acme Packer coat that I got this year, but I HATE that it says est. 1921 on it.

Thanks fo pointing this out.